INT:     And then after the war, what happened after the war?  Did you go on to university, did you get a job?

PR:     You had to do war work during the war.

KR:     Yes, I did some war work, now what was it, yes, because of my ability to speak German, the Ministry of Economic Warfare, I had to do translations and plan routes for our troops to, in Germany where to go and so on.

INT:     That’s a very responsible job for a young girl?

KR:     It was, yeah [laughter].

INT:     And were you still at school at this time or had you left school?

KR:     Oh, I had left school.

PR:     You were 18 and liable for national service, national service at 18.

KR:     Yes.

INT:     That would have been very responsible indeed.  And then what happened after the war ended?

PR:     You could have gone to Germany with the Control..

KR:     What?

PR:     You could have gone to Germany with the Control Commission?

KR:     I didn’t.

PR:     But you chose not to.

KR:     Yes, I could have gone to Germany with the Control Commission, but I didn’t, I wanted to go to university and so I took a crash course in Latin, which one needed in those days and other courses.  And applied and got into Bedford College in Regents Park.

INT:     To study what?

KR:     English literature, English and literature in particular and I had to do Anglo-Saxon of course [laughter].

PR:     How could you afford to go to university?

INT:     Did you get a grant?

KR:     A grant, didn’t I [say] , oh yes, because I’d worked for the war work, for the Minister of Economic Warfare, so I got a grant.

INT:     That was very good.

INT:     Were you still living with Lotte at that time?

KR:     Yes.

INT:     And were you aware by the end of the war that your parents had perished?

KR:     Well, in 1942 we heard that father had died.

KR:     A Red Cross letter, yes.  And we didn’t know quite what happened to my mother, ever did we?

PR:     No.  They were

KR:     We think she was taken to ?

PR:     Lodz.

INT:     Going to back to your studies after you got your degree did you go into teaching or what did you do with it?

KR:     Well I did have to do some teaching, yes, I went into teaching, but I didn’t really want to stay in teaching, so I took a course in shorthand and typing and applied for a job in a paper for, on a paper.  And this was a sort of a weekly paper I think, but then afterwards I switched to a very good daily paper and wrote, I wrote reports and that sort of thing, but I had my own, what was it called?

INT:     Column, your own column?

KR:     I wrote a diary, I pretended to be somebody or other and wrote a regular diary. 

INT:     Oh, that’s great, for which newspaper?

KR:     The Eastern Daily Press.

INT:     Oh, very good.

KR:     In Norwich.

INT:     Excellent.

INT:     And when did you meet your husband?

KR:     Well, I was married before, but not for long, he got, it was the year of the flu, when everybody died of, you know, and he died and that’s when I went into journalism.  And I didn’t meet my husband until, we got married in 19.. [laughter]

INT: So you were going to tell us when you met your partner, your current partner Peter and where

INT:     So you think you met in 1954?

PR:     Well, this is the story there you’re often telling the world, I’ll leave you to tell it. It’s a very unexciting story. Do you not recall?

INT:     You tell us.

KR:     Well, I remember seeing him, when I used to with my boss go for walks I used to see a handsome young chap sitting under a tree reading and I …

INT:     And that was Peter?

PR:     I’d come down from university at a loose end, I was working as a forestry labourer, in fact, in my hometown and I was applying for jobs and I needed someone to type my curriculum vitae. I had no typewriter, it looked better if it was typed.  And so I asked a friend to do this because I knew he ran a typing school and he said yes, on one condition you can come and help with the church fete.  And I went to help the church fete and she was the reporter that came.

KR:     Yes, I was a reporter then and that’s right, that’s how we met.

INT:     And did you come to Scotland soon after that or did you spend most of your married life in England.

KR:     No, no, we came to Scotland when my daughter was eight and she’s now 50 something, she’s now about 55.

INT:     So in the 1960s you came to Scotland?

KR:     Yeah, I think.

INT:     What brought you to Scotland and to this beautiful house overlooking the Tay?

KR:     Anyway, I got a job here.

INT:     As a reporter here?

KR:     I was teaching to begin with and then yes.

INT:     And so you have a daughter?

KR:     Yes, just one daughter.

INT:     Lovely, and does she live in Scotland?

KR:     No, she lives in Bristol and she’s, you may have seen some of her programme, wildlife programmes on television.

INT:     She’s a producer of these programmes?

KR:     Well, she has produced some of these, but she’s now freelancing.  Yes, she had a regular spot of wildlife things on, Peter will remember better than I, and she still does some wildlife work, but she lives in Bristol.

Listen to the testimony

Creative Commons

Unless otherwise stated, the content on is available to re-publish under the terms of the Creative Commons license.

Please check our Terms of Use for details on what is allowed when using our material.